With First Impressions, Little Things Make a Huge Difference!
Are you thinking about selling your house this year? Now’s the perfect time to prep it for listing!
It’s a good idea to set aside a few days to do the needed work, and follow these easy steps. Get ready to make a great impression on potential buyers!
1) Clean and Declutter Your Home
Cleaning and decluttering cannot be overstated. I mention this a lot for a reason! Do the following:
• Eliminate all your clutter before you start to clean: First, you must purge your house of all your unnecessary items. Either donate your unwanted/ unseeded items to charity, or give them away to family. Oftentimes, recyclers are willing to pick some things up and haul away your metal items for free.
• Organize your closets and cabinets : Believe it or not, potential buyers open cabinets and closets, because they are thinking about storage space. Make sure you clean and organize all the storage areas to let buyers know that the home is taken care of.
• Deep, deep, deep clean your house: This will take the most time. Get your entire family involved if you can. You should think of this as “big time” spring cleaning. Remember to pay special attention to your kitchen and bathroom. Clean the inside and outside of all your windows — believe it or not, this will makes a huge difference in the overall appearance of your home.
2) Make Home Repairs
You should take care of problems before you begin showing the home. Here are some fixes that you can do yourself:
• If you have leaking faucets or running toilets, make sure you fix them ASAP
• Replace loose or cracked caulk around in your kitchen and baths
• Clean or repair tile grout if it’s necessary
• Fix drywall, then repaint walls with in a neutral, color that complements your home
• Replace burned-out lightbulbs.
• Replace cracked or broken windows
• Replace damaged window screens
3) Remember Curb Appeal
You want potential buyers to be impressed by the outside of your home so they are interested in coming inside. Extend the “spring cleaning” mentality to the outside of your house too.
• Trim up the bushes and trees. Make sure tree branches aren’t touching your roof or siding
• Repair or replace broken gutters if needed
• Apply new mulch to needed areas. This can do wonders for your landscaping and provide immediate curb appeal.
• Repair concrete areas, such as driveways and walkways. Eliminate any oil or grease stains, and clean out any weeds coming up through the cracks.
• Put out some pots of annuals, which will maintain their color for the season. Make sure the house numbers are easy to see, and freshen up your doorstep with a new welcome mat
With just a little bit of effort, you can make your home more beautiful and welcoming, inside and out.
Ready to put your home on the market? Contact me!